- Web services is a Distributed Technology achieves Interoperability(portability) across the technologies such as JAVA, .NET, PHP, C++, etc.
- The other distributed technologies like CORBA, RMI, EJB, DCOM, C++, etc uses Binary Format, hence the objects are serialized into stream of bytes.
- Web Services uses XML Format instead of Binary Format. Hence, in web services the data is exchanged as XML message, which is validated against XML Schema (XSD) but not DTD, since XSD additionally supports data types.
- In web services, the objects are serialized into XML message.
- The Web Services Technologies such as SOAP, WSDL, UDDI are represented in XML against corresponding Schemas.
- Web Services makes distributed applications easier.
- Web Services is the implementation of Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) concepts.
- The service provider creates web service. Typically the service provider exposes center business functionality in their organization as a web service.
- The service provider describes service in technology neutral format (such as wsdl format) and publish in central repository for wider audience.
- A service registry is a central location, where the service provider can list its web services, and where a service consumer can search for Web Services.
- The web service in a central registry is publicly available to everyone.
- Discover service details from central registry and invoke service.